In this section, we will create a Word template using Qlik Sense objects.
To create a Word template, go to the Templates tab and click Create button. Your screen will look something like this:
- In the Type drop-down menu select Word
- Give a name to your template. Example: Performance Word template
- Add a description (optional)
- You have two options to create a new template. You can click to create a new Word file or click to create your template from an existing Word file.
- Save your work
Click to create a new Word file. Your screen will look something like this:
- A Word file is open in the Qalyptus
- Connections: list of the Qlik Sense and QlikView connections created in the Connections page
- Variables: list of the Qlik variables of the selected connections. Select the ones you want to use
- Objects: list of the Tables, Charts, and Master Items of the selected connections. Select the ones you want to use
- Used: here you will find the objects and variables you want to use in your template
- Save button allows you to save the template
- The preview button allows you to have a preview of the report
Add objects to create the template
In this short video, you will see how to use your Qlik Sense objects to create a simple Word template.
1- Add a filter to an object
In addition to applying filters at the report level and the task level, you can apply a filter for each Qlik object you use in your Template.
Right-click on the object you want to add a filter, then select Properties. In the Properties screen, select the filter to apply from the available filters. Only one filter can be applied to an object.
2- Export a Qlik Sense object as an image with a dimension different from the usage dimension in the template file
When you want to use a Qlik Sense object (chart or table) as an image in your report template, drag and drop the object to the template file. Qalyptus will create a placeholder image that you can resize. When you generate the report, Qalyptus will export the Qlik Sense object with the dimension of the placeholder image and put it in the placeholder image.
It is possible to export the image with large or small size as the placeholder image size. For example, export the image 1200 x 800 px and use it in the file with the size 1000 x 600 px.
Select the option Custom export dimensions in the object Properties, then enter the Height and Width value.
Exporting an object with a large size allows you to get more information; because Qlik Sense can hide some information when you reduce the object's size.
Chart with a small size (export size = size of use )
The same chart with a large export size (export size > size of use )
3- Repeat charts and tables on a page for each value of a dimension
You can repeat the contents of a Word page for each value in a dimension field.
4- Repeat table header row across pages for a PDF export
In this video, you can see how to repeat the first row of column headers on all pages when you have a large table.
A template can have three different states:
- Valid template
- File not found
- No objects or variables used