In this section, we will create an Excel template using Qlik Sense objects.
To create an Excel template, go to the Templates tab and click Create button. Your screen will look something like this:
- In the Type drop-down menu, select Excel
- Give a name to your template. Example: Performance Excel template
- Add a description (optional)
- You have two options to create a new template. You can click to create a new Excel file or click to create your template from an existing Excel file.
- Save your work
Click to create a new Excel file. Your screen will look something like this:
- An Excel file is open in the Qalyptus application
- Connections: list of the Qlik Sense and QlikView connections created in the Connections page
- Variables: list of the Qlik variables of the selected connections. Select the ones you want to use
- Objects: list of the Tables, Charts, and Master Items of the selected connections. Select the ones you want to use
- Used: here, you will find the objects and variables you want to use in your template
- Save button allows you to save the template
- The preview button allows you to have a preview of the report
Add objects to create the template
This short video will show how to use your Qlik Sense objects to create a simple Excel template.
1- Add a filter to an object
In addition to applying filters at the report and task levels, you can apply a filter for each Qlik object you use in your template.
Right-click on the object you want to add a filter, then select Properties. In the Properties screen, select the filter to apply from the available filters.
Only one filter can be applied to an object.
2- Not insert new rows
When you use a table, Qalyptus, by Default, inserts new rows to keep the same layout of your different objects. But in some cases, you may want Qalyptus not to insert rows, for example, when you have several objects next to each other.
You have the option of not inserting rows when exporting a table.
Right-click on a table or pivot table object, then select Properties. In the Properties screen, check the checkbox, Not insert rows.
3- Choose pivot table rows presentation
You can choose how you want to export a pivot table. You have the choice between Default (the settings selected in Qlik Sense), Extend all, or Collapse all.
4- Export a Qlik Sense object as an image with a dimension different from the usage dimension in the template file
When you want to use a Qlik Sense object (chart or table) as an image in your report template, drag and drop the object to the template file. Qalyptus will create a placeholder image that you can resize. When you generate the report, Qalyptus will export the Qlik Sense object with the dimension of the placeholder image and put it in the placeholder image.
It is possible to export the image with large or small size as the placeholder image size. For example, export the image 1200 x 800 px and use it in the file with the size 1000 x 600 px.
Select the option Custom export dimensions in the object Properties, then enter the Height and Width value.
Exporting an object with a large size allows you to get more information; because Qlik Sense can hide some information when you reduce the object’s size.
Chart with a small size (export size = size of use )
The same chart with a large export size (export size > size of use )
5- Repeat charts and tables in the same sheet or create a sheet for each value of a dimension
Qalyptus allows repeating data by dimension in a report. You can repeat Images, Tables, and Variables.
You can repeat the same sheet’s contents for each value in a dimension field. You can also repeat your Qlik Sense objects on a single sheet for a field value. You can nest the repeat levels as many times as you want.
See how you can do it.
6- Repeat table header row across pages for a PDF export
To repeat the first row of column headers on all pages when you have a large and complex worksheet, drag and drop the columns of the table object then:
- In Excel, click the Page Layout tab
- In the Page Setup group, click Print Titles
- Under the Sheet tab, in the Rows to repeat at top field, click on the icon on the right.
- Select the row you wish to appear at the top of every page. Press the Enter key
- Then click OK
Here is the result
A template can have three different states:
- Valid template
- File not found
- No objects or variables used