Change the certificate used by Qalyptus Server to a third-party certificate
By default, a self-signed certificate is used to secure communication with Qalyptus Server. This results in a warning in the client’s web browser such as “The site security certificate is not trusted”. To resolve this issue, the certificate used Qalyptus must be replaced by a certificate signed by a trusted certificate authority (CA).
The existing self-signed certificate is secure. The warning message is displayed because the web browser does not have all the information necessary to consider that the certificate is valid. Follow the steps below to remove the warning in the client web browser.
Follow the steps below to import the certificate:
- Launch the MMC console on the machine where Qalyptus Server is installed
- In the MMC, Open File> Add / Remove Snap-in …
- Select Certificates and click Add
- Select Computer Account, click Next, select Local computer and click Finish
- In the MMC console, open Certificates (local computer) / Personal
- In the MMC console, open Actions> All Tasks> Import …
- Browse to the certificate file provided by your certification authority
- Follow the on-screen instructions to import the certificate, including the private key
- Check that the new certificate has been imported into Certificates (local computer)> Personal> Certificates and that it contains a private key
- Double-click on the Certificate> Certification path and confirm that it displays “This certificate is OK“
Use the certificate in Qalyptus Server Configuration
Follow the steps below to configure Qalyptus with your certificate.
- In the MMC console, right-click the imported certificate and select Open
- In the Details tab, scroll down and select Thumbprint
- Select and copy its value to the clipboard with the keyboard shortcut CTRL + C
- Close the MMC console
- In the start menu of your computer, search Qalyptus Server Configuration
- Click on Qalyptus Server Configuration and go to the General tab
- Enter the username and password of the user who runs the Qalyptus Server service
- Check the Use https checkbox
- Then choose Other valid SSL certificate
- Paste your certificate’s Thumbprint in the Certificate field
- Make sure that the address entered in the Machine address field is the one that will be used to connect to Qalyptus Server
- Click on Save
- A confirmation message will appear when your certificate is taken into account by Qalyptus
You should now be able to access Qalyptus Server over HTTPS without the browser warning message.